Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Drama: A Review by Mariah


This review of Raina Telgemeier’s DRAMA is by Mariah, age 7.

This book came in my dad’s mail and on the first day he got it I was all over it.  I read it all the first day and then a little after I was finished it I read again.  I even brought it to the dentist to read in the waiting room.  Dad didn’t even get to read it.  I am reading it again now.  I am at page 95 (it has 233 pages).

In DRAMA Callie wants to be in the school play, but she can’t because she is not a very good singer.  Instead she joins the stage crew and makes sets.  There is also trouble with some boys she likes.
I wanted to take a look at it when dad first got it because the title and the cover looked very interesting.  The coloured in pages of the book made me think it was an interesting book.  Then the colour stopped and turned to black, grey and white, but that made me think it was even more interesting.  I thought it was going to be a colour, no-colour, colour, no-colour book, but dad says that the colour stopped because we have a review copy, not a store copy.  You can get the full-colour book in September 2012.

Mariah buying her own copy at Chapters.
Drama is a really cool book.  I don’t have a favourite part because every part is my favourite.  I like it when Callie and her friends, Justin and Jessie go to a bookstore.  They get out a book about an old play and on the next page they are actually in the book.  It’s cool because I thought they were just looking at it but then their imagination made them go in the book.  Later in the bookstore Justin and Jessie give Callie bubble tea and when she drinks it she says it is “bizarre.”   I also like the details of Raina Telgemeier’s art.

I think this book would be good for kids aged 10 and up, but I’m only 7.  There is a little kissing and some boyfriend stuff.  The prom part is not too bad, but with the kissing, I’m not too sure. 
Dad says that the publisher, Scholastic, recommends the book for  ages 10-14 or grades 5-9.  I think adults might want to look at it too.

You can watch a video of the book HERE.

2 comments:

Tracy (Comic Mom) said...

Great job, Marish! You made me want to read the book. :)

Little Willow said...

Awesome review! I loved the book, too. :)